IIS under WINE?

The Ghost In The Machine ewill at lexideb.athghost7038suus.net
Sat Feb 3 11:55:23 CST 2001

In comp.emulators.ms-windows.wine, Andreas Mohr
<aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com>
 wrote
on 2 Feb 2001 21:59:33 GMT
<95fak5$1iv$1 at news.BelWue.DE>:
>Fabio M Albertin <albertin at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> I was just wondering if anyone's managed to somehow get MS IIS to run on
>> Linux with WINE. If so, how did you go about doing it?
>> Thanks.
>Hmm ? Why the hell would you want to do that ??
>Apache is said to be sooo much better...

Agreed -- however, if we can get IIS to work under wine, think
of the publicity!  Not to mention the troubleshooting.  :-)

I would strongly suspect that IIS calls a lot of undocumented stuff,
though.  But if someone has a heavily involved IIS-based website,
it's possible this might be useful, although it might be better
to just convert it to straight Apache as you suggest.  Throw on
a Jakarta/Tomcat servlet engine and one has roughly equal
functionality anyway, once the applets (objects) are converted.

(My employer may have this very issue, sometime in the future.
Our website is dependent on IIS; I suspect we'll rewrite it.)

The investment in time and money should be well worth it, especially
since Apache is as standard as they come. :-)

--
ewill at aimnet.com -- insert random misquote here
                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.