Wine crashing whole computer (blank screen and stalled when trying to execute prog.)

Transfer Interrupted no at spam.org
Sun Feb 4 22:33:48 CST 2001

I just got Wine to work a few days ago after altering the configuration
files to correspond with my 8 drives.  Now, today I thought of upgrading to
a newer version of Wine.  Well, the one I downloaded needed glibc 2.2, and I
only have 2.1.  I didn't feel like downloading it tonight so I just left the
RPM file in my directory.  Anyway, I tried to launch Winamp with wine and
the whole screen just went black and I couldn't get out of it.  I then had
to use the reset button.  I tried just typing wine and it said something
about a file being found, but the server crashed???  I deleted the file
suggested in the string and from a web ref.  I tried just typing "wine"
again and got the list of option as I normally would.  I then tried to
launch Winamp again and the screen went blank.  I then deleted the same file
again.  I tried another program which worked just yesterday and the same
thing happened again.  I tried reinstalling Wine from my burned Mandrake 7.2
disk.  However, the same thing is still happening.  The config file hasn't
been altered.  What's going on?  I've been using Linux part time for a
couple years, but still am not at a level capable of handling something like
this.  Please teach me!  Thanks!