Needed files from WIN dist. [BEFORE: Windows Installation under WINE]

Jon Gretar jongretar at my-deja.com
Mon Feb 5 09:25:31 CST 2001

I think everyone misunderstood me. I'm not trying to set up windows to
start using windows in Linux like with VMWare. Why would anyone want to
do that.
My problem is the fact that I need some files from MS-Windows to be
able to run some programs in WINE. Like I need regedit.exe and other
programs in the windows distibution.
I see that most people copy the c:\windows\ directory from a previously
installed windows in another partition or something like that or make
the WINE config point to installed windows somewhere.
I have however no access to previously installed windows on this
computer. I only have the Windows install CDs.
Do I really have to set up a partition on the computer and install Win
there to get these files???

In article <3A71EDCF.8D49E113 at gmx.co.uk>,
  Chris Howells <chris.h at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Jon Gretar wrote:
> >
> > Is there any way I can run the WIN98 install under wine.
> > I need a lot of files in the windows installation for installing
other
> > programs.
>
> If you need to run Windows under Linux, you'll need to look at either
> Win4Lin or VMWare. Win4Lin is cheaper, but VMWare is more versatile.
>
> --
> Chris Howells
> E-Mail: chris.h at gmx.co.uk
> ICQ: 93699029