"wineserver: /home/Ani/.wine/config is not a valid registry file"

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Feb 5 16:24:26 CST 2001

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Aniartia wrote:

> Okay went to: http://wine.dataparty.no/ form there downloaded the rpm,
> http://wine.dataparty.no/rpm/unstripped/wine-cvs-unstripped-013001-1.i386.rpm
> downloaded the config file and worked through the install guide. I
> edited the config file to mirror my window setup:
> c:\ = \mnt\c
> d:\ = \temp
> e:\ = \web
> f:\ = \documents
> g:\ = \music
> h:\ = \mnt\cdrom
> i:\ = \mnt\zip
>
> then as a check did
> $wine -v
> and got:
> Wine Relese 20010112
> I then tryed
> $wine /mnt/c/c:/WINDOWS/notepad.exe
> and was replyed with:
> wineserver: /home/Ani/.wine/config is not a valid registry file
> WFT? it worked like seconds ago..
>
> TIA
>    Ani

At a guess, either you have not got this line at the top of the config:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2

or you didn't notice that when ~/.winerc became ~/.wine/config, all
terms are quoted, like so:

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/gp/fault"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "MS-DOS"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

ICBW, of course.

Lawson

First shoot the arrow.  Then draw the bulls-eye. - J. A. Soucy