cannot install codeweavers wine

Alan aeady at my-deja.com
Wed Feb 7 11:29:32 CST 2001

Thanks for the help!!! You were right on track. The problem was the /opt
directory. I didn't have a filesystem defined for /opt so it was
naturally filling up /. I'm emabarassed that I didn't realize this on my
own. I guess that what comes from a steady diet of Cheetos and Mountain
Dew :o)
Regardless, I added the symlink and the rpm installed normally.
Once again, thanks.

In article <20010206.220821.134622664.0.lawson_whitney at juno.com>,
  wine-users at winehq.com wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Alan wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install the Codeweavers version of wine (pre-release
2)
> > and I am having problems. When I try to install (using rpm), I get
the
> > message "installing package codeweavers-wine-20010112-1 needs 7Mb on
the
> > / filesystem". My / filesystem is not overly large, but I still have
> > approx 60Mb available on /. Is the error stating that the install
> > requires 7Mb on /, or it needs 7Mb more than what I have available?
> > Also, why is it wanting to install at the / level and not in a
somewhat
> > less dangerous partition? The other filesystems have plenty of room
> > available.
> > Has anyone else seen this and if so, what can I do? I checked the
FAQ on
> > the codeweavers site and did not see this problem addressed.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
>
> I build Wine from source, but maybe I can help some by extrapolation.
> Wine-20010112 (okay, plus a random selection from wine-patches)
installs
> about 61m of binaries, libraries, header files, and man pages, by
> default into /usr/local (I use /gp/local, for reasons of my own).
> If all that were to go into /, I think that might be uncomfortably
> tight.
>
> It seems to me to be more an rpm problem, or a system administartion
> problem, not a wine problem as such.  If you want to use the rpm,
>
> try with rpm -qip codeweavers-wine* if it is relocatable (I have never
> seen a relocatable rpm, and don't know how they work :-) or
>
> find out with
>
> rpm -qlip codeweavers-wine*
>
> where it wants to put what, and look into moving that off of /.
>
> Just a guess - maybe it wants to use /opt, and you have no special
> provision for /opt, so it goes on /.  In that case, say you have /usr
in
> its own FS, with plenty of room, you could move /opt to /usr/opt and
> make a symbolic link:
>
> ln -s /usr/opt /opt
>
> If all that tower of conjecture above still stands, rpm should then be
> happy to install it for you, or at least find something different to
> complain about.
>
> ICBW, of course, I can always be wrong.
>
> Lawson
>
> _We_ control the horizontal.   - Rod Serling
> ---cut here

> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Sent via Deja.com