Palm Hotsync success...

Bernhard Mogens Ege bme at miba.auc.dk
Fri Feb 9 10:37:11 CST 2001

Well, after having given up uppon serial communication from
hotsync.exe to the Palm Vx, I decided to try network communication
instead.

I am able to perform a complete hotsync even with Netscape Calendar
synchronization. I am not doing anything special to make it work but
it is not straight forward, neither.

I start hotsync.exe, configuring it for network access only. Then I
start pi-nredir (from the pilot-unix/pilot-link package). This
establishes a link from the serial port to the hotsync network
interface. I setup the hotsync on Palm for normal serial port sync and
press the hotsync button. Thats it. A complete hotsync is performed,
even with conduits being run and synced.

I have to start pi-nredir like this:

PILOTRATE=57600 pi-nredir /dev/pilot

Not giving the PILOTRATE default pi-nredir to 9600 baud which easily
causes hotsync.exe to timeout. /dev/pilot as a symbolic link to
/dev/ttyS0 (the serial port).

I run hotsync like this:

wine -desktop 640x480 Program\ Files/Palm/hotsync.exe

If I don't use the desktop argument, I see the system tray appear and
immediately disappear again, having me to kill wine to regain
control. I wonder why the system tray disappears???? I would prefer to
have it instead of the -desktop which is huge compared to the systray
window. -managed or not does not make a difference.

I can also establish a ppp link between the palm device and linux and
perform a direct network hotsync. Hotsync.exe does not see the
difference (not sure it should, either).

These are the only 4 "problems" (some of them show up more than once):

FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
service "unieng" protocol "tcp" not found; You might want to add this to /etc/services
fixme:string:OLE_GetFormatA datelen = 0, returning 255

When hotsync.exe is quit, this error shows:

err:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 40490000: in-use arena 40490160 next block has PREV_FREE flag

Other than the missing systray, this is great!

regards,

Bernhard Ege