find the right (wine) path

Duane fpga at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 9 12:28:18 CST 2001

On 9 Feb 2001 04:26:07 GMT, Andreas Mohr
<aqi46g09cu001 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

>Brian <bmorris at nilads.co.ny> wrote:
>> wine version 20001002 running in rh7.  installed and working.
>> Have a newbie question about command line paths to access windows apps.
>> No problem accessing  anything in c:\windows   eg freecell.exe by the simple
>> command  # wine freecell.exe
>> the mount directory is named /dos  (and is in /etc/wine/wine.conf under
>> Drive c) so I assume that the command
>> # wine /dos/agent/agent.exe should bring up the programme ?  but it doesnt.
>> "directory not found".  I've tried several different strings but only
>> executables in the \windows directory in win98 are actioned.
>> Haven't yet found some howto or other guide on this part of the config so
>> would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
>Frequent problem.
>Always run Wine from the *destination* directory.

Hmm... I am a bit puzzled here. I regularly run commands exactly as he
has stated, with no problems at all. And that includes Forte Agent
(assuming that is the "agent" being run).

If the directory that agent is started from is not in the wine config,
then there will be problems with fagent storing all the dat, idx, and
ini files that it uses to keep track of your news reading status,
because agent wants to keep those in the current directory. My
preferred method is to put an entry in the wine config file for my
home directory, and then in the home directory create another
directory (I created a directory "fagent") where you want agent to
store all those files. Then I go into my fagent directory, and
execute:

wine /c/Agent/agent &

And it works fine for me. This is with a current CVS and all builtin
DLLs except crtdll and msvcrt. So what would cause the problems he his
having?

Duane
-posted with agent