hello, I need some help for using wine

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 9 22:39:40 CST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Eduardo Costa wrote:

> Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> >
> >                 Name: virus.com
> >    virus.com    Type: unspecified type (application/octet-stream)
> >             Encoding: x-uuencode
> >

> You must be kidding about that...
>
> Eduardo Costa
> --
> http://www.tpk.com.br
> Computer Projects and Stuff

Nope.  That is a legitimate windose virus.

Script started on Fri Feb  9 23:24:51 2001
[whit at giftie windose]$ wine uudecode.com \vc
Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
[whit at giftie windose]$ wine virus.com
Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
Hi! I'm a signature virus![whit at giftie windose]$ exit
exit

Script done on Fri Feb  9 23:26:16 2001

Hmmm, I think the int 21 handler misses a carriage return here.  I guess
I should see if I can find the spec on it and try to make it better.

I had to use the ascii binary dos uudecode.com

SPECIAL NOTE:  For DOS users, there is an EXECUTABLE ASCII version of
the UUDECODE.COM program available.  This is a rare exception to the
rule that executable files must be encoded to survive email
transmission.  You can receive it via email and execute it "as is".   To
get a copy, send email

  To: gboyd at expita.com
  Subject: send uudecode.com  (must be lowercase).

Unix uudecode extraced an empty file, and wincode choked.  Hmmm, if I
todos the file, unix uudecode works.  Probably wincode would too but I
have done enough GUI for 1 day.

Lawson
---cut here