HowTo run Monkey Island 4 with wine

Carsten Maul sm128ma at uni-duisburg.de
Sun Feb 11 06:33:56 CST 2001

Hi,

because nobody was able to tell me why I wasn't able to run Monkey Island
in wine I now tell you what i did to get it running:

I have installed wine with the transgaming directx patch (which is not
necessary for wine). Monkey Island defaulted to DirectX when I started it,
but the Transgaming Patch is yet not good enough to run MI4.

To get it running you have to to the following:

Start Monkey Island like that:

wine "c:\Monkey4\Monkey.exe" --dll
commdlg,comdlg32,commctrl,comctl32,shell,shell32=n,shfolder=n,shlwapi
--desktop 640x480 -- -gl

I've a real Windows 98 installation with wine, I did not test without it.

Then go to the Options Menü and then (I use the German Version, perhaps
English one has differetn menuenames) to the Performance Options. This
menues have big graphic glitches, normally you can only see 10 % of what's
inside the menu. But if you click blindly on an option it will be shown.
So search the register cards at the top of this menue, if you click the
right one you will come to an menue where you can switch from directx to
opengl, and also choose 16Bit colordepth.

That made it for me an now I can play Monkey Island perfectly, Grafik and
Sound like under Windows.
Only crap is that startmenue.

By the way, to install and run MI4 I copied both CD's in an Directory under
Linux and told wine in it's config file to use this directory as a CD-Rom.
That i made a minimum install.
I did that because during the installation I had to change the CD's and
Linux did not allow me to unmount the current one :-(

So have fun playing MI4.

Carsten