CD Burning with Wine?

Bernhard Mogens Ege bme at miba.auc.dk
Mon Feb 12 04:27:25 CST 2001

> Hello,
> I just got WINE running under FreeBSD and I was wondering if anyone has
> had success getting CD burning programs to work.  Specifically, I would
> like to use CloneCD.  I can use cdrecord / burncd to make data cd's and
> backups and the like, but a disk-at-once program is best (IMO) for
> copying audio cd's.  And, unfortunately, there aren't any dao programs
> that support EIDE drives and work under FreeBSD (at least, not that I
> know of).

> CloneCD comes close to running.  It give me a ton of errors about not
> being able to open it's various graphics files (Error opening file
> c:\program files\elaborate bytes\clonecd\xxxx.bmp: Invalid handle) but
> the main window still pops up.  Then it says "Unable to load the CloneCD
> Device Driver." and in the console I get "fixme: win32:DEVICE_Open
> Unknown VxD CLONECD.  Try --winver nt40 !" (which doesn't help,
> incidentally).

> So... is it even possible to run this program?  I could always boot to
> windows to copy my audio cd's, but that's no fun =)

> Thanks for reading!

Ok, I have ahead Nero working using Wine with my IDE CD-writer. This
is how I did it:

First get SCSI emulation to work. For this I have the modules
ide-scsi, ide-cd, cdrom and sr_mod loaded. My cdromd rive is /dev/hdc
and in /etc/modules.conf I have added:

options ide-cd ignore=hdc            # tell the ide-cd module to ignore hdc
alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sr_mod modprobe sg
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd   before ide-scsi

In /etc/fstab, the cdrom line is changed to:

/dev/scd0              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

In .wine/config, I have added:

[scsi c0t0d0]
"Device" = "/dev/scd0"

The emulated scsi cdrom has device id 0,0,0.

This works for me. There is no difference in normal usage, except that
the Cd-writer never spins down when a disc is inserted.

Bernhard