Kind of OT, Win95/98 differences

Nobody root at 127.0.0.1
Mon Feb 12 18:07:34 CST 2001

I have heard that there are some programs coming out that will only
work on Windows 98 or higher.  It would seem that unless drivers or
USB is an issue, all programs should run on 95 or 98.  Would anyone
here with knowledge of the win32 API care to tell me why such
programs, such as Office 10 will not work in Windows 95.  Is this an
artificial incompatability that can be fixed with a simple patch to
the program (patch the app to jump past the OS check), or are there
real compatbility issues?