Serial Port Access

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 16 10:30:17 CST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:

> Hi,.
>
> I have some legacy applications for MSDOS / 95 and a new NT version of an
> application that i would like to use.
>
> I have un-commented the lines in wine.conf about serial access but i cant
> seem to get any MSDOS or win32 application to talk, is this currently
> supported in (the lateset) wine ?

What lines do you mean?  The [serialports] lines aren't normally
commented.  Do you mean the [ports] lines?  Did you put something in
those lines that made sense for your hardware, or did you just remove
the ; ?  The numbers that are there in the sample config do not touch
the serial ports on your average ix86 box.
(from man setserial)

       The "standard MS-DOS" port associations are given below:

              /dev/ttys0 (COM1), port 0x3f8, irq 4
              /dev/ttys1 (COM2), port 0x2f8, irq 3
              /dev/ttys2 (COM3), port 0x3e8, irq 4
              /dev/ttys3 (COM4), port 0x2e8, irq 3

And what do you mean by serial port access?  This letter comes by wine
through com3.  I haven't anything for [ports], just

[serialports]
"Com1" = "/dev/ttyS0"
"Com2" = "/dev/ttyS1"
"com4" = "/dev/ttyS3"

That's not direct port access, just access by the normal windows comm
API - CreateFileA, ReadFile, WriteFile, and so on.  Whether a user can
get at the comm ports this way is up to the linux system administrator.
If you can do it from the linux command line with minicom or cu -l, wine
can do it.

For direct port access, wine must be run by root, and I don't know how
well that works.

> regards
> ---
> Matthew J Fletcher
> NPD Firmware
> When did ignorance become a point of view ?
> ---
Lawson

Everything comes from somewhere.  Everything has to go somewhere.
There ain't no such thing as a free IRQ.
---cut here