Updating WordPerfect Office

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Sat Feb 17 04:06:02 CST 2001

In article <96k15p$o12$1 at iac5.navix.net>, drovar <drovar at alltel.net> wrote:

>"D. C. Sessions" <dcs at lumbercartel.com> wrote in message
>news:3A8D442E.CF32EC4B at lumbercartel.com...
>> The version of Wine that ships with WPOffice 9 is
>> getting pretty creaky.  As far as I can tell, Corel
>> doesn't have any updates on their site, but as far as
>> I know there's no reason that someone couldn't update
>> their version.
>>
>> Anyone have any luck with this?  I'm still trying to
>> reproduce their build parameters.
>
>I read 'somewhere' that the Corel development tree is going to be folded
>into the official Wine CVS sometime (soon maybe?). Perhaps someone closer to
>the source can correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps you'll be able to run WP
>Office directly off the latest CVS at that point.

I have already folded a lot of smaller patches back at the time that CVS tree
was opened.

There are still several large parts in it:

- printer stuff. a lot of it. connected with the truetype support.
  Very large diffs and hard to puzzle through what can be merged over.
- truetype support using the commercial bitstream font library/server support.
  not portable since we can't include this in the free version.

- Drag and Drop with Xdnd v2. very interesting, but a bit difficult to migrate
  since there were a lot of changes in the relevant code parts.
- GUI enhancements in common controls have been migrated or superseded by
  the CodeWeavers work.
- Replacing 'C:\' and so on by using hacks that maps the displaying into
  Unix dirs. These are hacks and would not have been approved for the
  official tree, so I did not pursue this.

Also both codebase have diverged a lot in the meantime (well the official
one continued to grow, the Corel one has only seen very small additions
over the last months), so porting over becomes increasingly difficult.

Thats it.

Ciao, Marcus