symbol problems with FRESH install

Aaron Danner ajd9ac at mizzou.edu
Mon Feb 19 19:44:41 CST 2001

Hello,
I installed wine 20010112 from source and can't get it to work.  I had an
old version on before, but I COMPLETELY removed it before I started. I'm
sure -- I checked for libkernel32.so and others, and even took away the
.wine directory.  Anyway, so now I am getting this undefined symbol
message:
[root at localhost cdrom]# wine HWSetup.EXE
err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin
kernel32.dll: undefined symbol: __sysconf
err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) KERNEL32.dll needed by
D:\HWSetup.EXE not found

I have read the faqs and it sounds like a problem with a previous
installation but I don't think so.  I've tried several times to make sure
everything is wiped clean.  Also, I checked to make sure that the
/etc/ld.so.conf had the proper path to the wine libraries (it did).  So I
don't understand why this didn't work.  But when installing with
./tools/wineinstall here was something quirky message at the end (see
below), do you
think this could have had something to do with it (the "unknown option")?
I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.  RH7   -Aaron

Preparing to install default Wine registry entries...
Installing default Wine registry entries...

Unknown option '--config'

Usage: programs/regapi/regapi [options] [--] program_name [arguments]
The -- has to be used if you specify arguments (of the program)

   --debugmsg name  Turn debugging-messages on or off
   --desktop geom   Use a desktop window of the given geometry
   --display name   Use the specified display
   --dll name       Enable or disable built-in DLLs
   --dosver x.xx    DOS version to imitate (e.g. 6.22)
                    Only valid with --winver win31
   --help,-h        Show this help message
   --language xx    Set the language (one of
Br,Ca,Cs,Cy,Da,De,En,Eo,Es,Fi,Fr,Ga,Gd,Gv,
                    He,Hr,Hu,It,Ja,Ko,Kw,Nl,No,Pl,Pt,Sk,Sv,Ru,Wa)
   --managed        Allow the window manager to manage created windows
   --synchronous    Turn on synchronous display mode
   --version,-v     Display the Wine version
   --winver         Version to imitate
(win95,nt40,win31,nt2k,win98,nt351,win30,win20)

Registry entries successfully installed.
Linking root's user registry hive to the global registry...
Linking root's system registry hive to the global registry...

Installation complete for now.