wine + games: Deux + Baldur 1 and 2

romain lerallut rom1 at catsrule.garfield.com
Tue Feb 20 05:05:22 CST 2001

Hi all !

First, my apologies if this subject has already been discussed but the archives lack a
"search" feature, so I've browsed a bit but not a lot before 2001.

 I browsed the winehq and I found some people have been able to use wine on Deux Ex, and
Baldur 1 and 2. I installed the games with windows (they worked fine) and then tried running
them with wine under linux (debian 2.2, kernel 2.4.0) but no luck: both stop after the first
screen...
( I compiled a recent version of wine, it seems to work: I can play the solitaire game, great
game BTW ;-)

Could someone who managed to use these games explain to me how he did it , please ?
(managed or not, installed with windows and then run under wine or directly installed
with wine  ? special wine.conf settings maybe ? )
Besides, do I really need an installed windows system to run/install the games ? (please tell
me "no you don't" ) I'm tempted to trash the windows partition once and for all, but I fear the
"Install Shield Wizard" won't like it.

Oh, last thing: I read that some of you pointed to Loki's "wine succes stories" , which
should feature patches for the binaries , but I couldn't find it on www.lokigames.com. any URL
please ?

Thanks a lot ,
Romain