Wine just won't work! Baffled.

Matthew Walton mxw00u at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Tue Feb 20 18:33:47 CST 2001

I just compiled and installed Wine 20010216 snapshot. Compiles fine,
installs fine. I set up my configuration to use my Windows install, but
when I try to run something, I get messages similar to this:

# wine notepad.exe
err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin
shell32.dll: /usr/local/lib/librpcrt4.so: undefined symbol: dbch_ole
err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin
kernel32.dll: /usr/local/lib/libkernel32.so: undefined symbol:
WIN32_GetLargestConsoleWindowSize
err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) KERNEL32.dll needed by
C:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll not found
err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load C:\windows\system\msvcrt.dll
err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) MSVCRT.DLL needed by
C:\windows\system\shell32.dll not found
err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load C:\windows\system\shell32.dll
err:module:fixup_imports Module (file) SHELL32.dll needed by
C:\windows\notepad.exe not found

Any ideas what's going on? Can I fix it? Wine used to work fine but then
I installed a new snapshot (I think it was 200012-something) and then it
didn't work anymore. One thing that might have caused it is the
transition to Windows Me, which probably occured between my last
successful use of Wine and the installation of the first snapshot that
didn't work. None this year have worked either.

I also tried running it in no-windows configuration, but it still didn't
work. I can't get the error messages back now, but they were very
similar to those above - only there were about half the number I think.

For informational purposes I'm running
Slackware 7.0
Kernel 2.4.0
egcs-2.91.66
XFree86-4.0.2

I'd tell you what version my C libraries are but I can't remember how
it's done.

Come to think of it, the timing could have been when I changed to kernel
2.4 test releases, or even when I upped to XFree4. Are any of these
known to cause problems?

Thanks

 Matthew Walton

 Defenestration (n) -
  1) The act of throwing somebody out of a window
  2) An entertaining pasttime involving a tall building, an
     open window and a stack of AOL and/or Microsoft CD-ROMs

 Miri it is whil Linux ilast