Howto start Linux programs from wine ?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 23 17:18:22 CST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Reinhold Schoeb wrote:

> I am using Lotus Notes 5.04a under Wine/Linux, and I can say the wine
> developers did a great job.
>
> I would like to start a Linux program from wine, e. g. start the Acroread
> viewer when clicking on an attached PDF document.
>
> Does someone know how to do that ?
>
> Reinhold

Just do it, I guess.  I was able to start a few X11 apps (sxpm and
xclock) from wine's builtin progman, which if I am reading the code
right does it with WinExec, so I guess any windows or winelib program
can do the same.  The linux program has to be mapped on to a windows
drive in the config, and I think the program has to be called by its
windows path, FI g:\usr\X11\bin\sxpm -plaid (I have g mapped to / in
wine config.  If c: (or d:...) is a linux filesystem, you can use a
symbolic link to make a linux executable appear there.  By default, wine
ignores directory symbolic links, but that is configurable).

If you need to associate a program name with a file type, that is some
resedit or regedit nonsense that always stops me cold.  Sorry, I don't
really see the point of GUI.

It is pretty easy to write a winelib program now with the help of
winemaker, and if you don't care whether it can compile with a windows
compiler or run in native windows, it can use both the windows API and
libc functions such as fork() and exec(), or system(), or...

Lawson

This file does not have a program associated
with it for performing this action. Create an
association in My Computer by clicking View
and then clicking Options.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.