Updating Starcraft?

R Pickett emerson at hayseed.net
Sat Feb 24 10:46:45 CST 2001

I'm having a little trouble with trying to install newer versions of
Starcraft (updates or Brood War) on a win-free Wine installation.  I can
run the installer off the original Starcraft CD, and it puts all of the
files in the right place, adds a couple registry entries, and then chokes
on creating the entries in the Start Menu.  Still, I can kill the process
at that point, and I have a usable copy of Starcraft 1.00 in the correct
place -- running "wine StarCraft.exe" as root works fine.

The problem comes when I want to update this installation.  Running
either the 1.07 updater, or the Brood War installer from the CD,
complains that the original version of Starcraft needs to be installed.
I'm not sure how or where it's trying to verify that (there are entries
in userdat.dat for Software/Blizzard Software/Starcraft/*), but I can't
get past this point.

I'm currently running the binary release of the codeweavers Preview 2 on
RH 7, but I had essentially the same problem with the latest (02/16 or
so) tarball.

Any thoughts?  This seems like it would be a FAQ, but I can't find
anything after searching all evening.  Thanks in advance for any help.