Updating Starcraft?

Ronald J. Hall darklord at kih.net
Sun Feb 25 10:13:51 CST 2001

R Pickett wrote:

> I'm having a little trouble with trying to install newer versions of
> Starcraft (updates or Brood War) on a win-free Wine installation.  I can
> run the installer off the original Starcraft CD, and it puts all of the
> files in the right place, adds a couple registry entries, and then chokes
> on creating the entries in the Start Menu.  Still, I can kill the process
> at that point, and I have a usable copy of Starcraft 1.00 in the correct
> place -- running "wine StarCraft.exe" as root works fine.
>
> The problem comes when I want to update this installation.  Running
> either the 1.07 updater, or the Brood War installer from the CD,
> complains that the original version of Starcraft needs to be installed.
> I'm not sure how or where it's trying to verify that (there are entries
> in userdat.dat for Software/Blizzard Software/Starcraft/*), but I can't
> get past this point.
>
> I'm currently running the binary release of the codeweavers Preview 2 on
> RH 7, but I had essentially the same problem with the latest (02/16 or
> so) tarball.
>
> Any thoughts?  This seems like it would be a FAQ, but I can't find
> anything after searching all evening.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi. I'm using Starcraft v1.05x? under the Codeweavers Preview version 1.0, and
I was able to successfully run the v1.07 update .EXE...

I NEVER have been able to update with Brood Wars though. Always quits with
that pesky Start Menu error (something about unable to complete a link). ;-(

--

                                                                     /\
                                                                 Dark><Lord