printing with wine thru ghostscript

Ian Pilcher pilcher at concentric.net
Tue Feb 27 22:30:54 CST 2001

Michael L Torrie wrote:

> The printing howto is a little vague in this area.  How do I go about
> printing through ghostscript from windows?  I know how to teach
> ghostscript to print the ttfs (generate the appropriate afms, add them
> to the fontmap).  Where do I place the afms for wine to use?  If I
> provide afms for each truetype font for wine, and then use a postscript
> printer ppd file, and set lpt1 to be |lpr, will this work?

AFAIK you can put the AFM files wherever you want.  The key is to add
the appropriate entries to the [afmfiles] section of ~/.wine.config.
(You may be able to use an [afmdirs] section now; check the wine-devel
archive on www.winehq.com.)

In its current incarnation, the Wine PostScript driver will only use
fonts that are listed in the PPD file, so you will have to edit the PPD
file if you want to use TrueType fonts (straightforward but tedious).
This should change in the near future, though.

You will also have to make the appropriate entries in your WIN.INI file
and registry.  (See the "psdrv.reg" file for information on the required
registry entries.)

BTW, I've had a heck of a time generating AFMs for TrueType fonts that
get scaled properly by the driver.  What do you use to create the AFMs?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                       pilcher at concentric.net