Network problems

Jarkko Hakala jhakala at byterapers.com
Wed Feb 28 12:38:32 CST 2001

Has anybody faced network-problems with Wine?

I'm running RH7 with kernel 2.4.0, have the following
network-interfaces:
ippp0 for ISDN, my internet connection
vmnet1 for one VMWare-"machine"
lo0 for whatever ;)

I've set up nat & forwarding to get my vmware-client to access to
net, as my isp gives only 1 dynamic ip for me.

For Wine, I've copied all .DLL -files from my working
win98-installation,
c:\windows and c:\windows\system -dirs, that is. But the [DllOverrides]
-section I've left intact.

The programs seem to run without problems as long as they don't need
network,
but for example mIRC32 is quite useless without network...
The network-stuff can resolve hostnames via Linux'es dns-settings, but
tcp-connections
systematically get timeout before receiving anything, or, can't get
connected. As "Telnet.exe"
says it, "could not open a connection to xxx".

The only thing that I found out that does something, is Telnet.exe to
localhost's port 22(via any
interface), gives the SSHD's normal greeting. But, after pressing Enter,
it doen't hang the socket,
as it should do. Propably the Enter-key never arrives to sshd.

Any ideas?
Was I specific enough to a "Wine-professional" to make it possible to
help me?