Problem writing to fat hd

Willy Gardiol gardiol at libero.it
Sun Jul 1 02:16:21 CDT 2001

This is what i did in word for windows 97, italian release:
> > 1) "Save as..." from file menu
> > 2) go to fat32 hard drive
> > 3) type a name (in the log: ddd)
> > 4) save. It says "The file is alreayd open, Try egain?"
> > 5) say yes and retype a different name (in the log: dd)
> > 6) it works. but why?

Here it is bzip2ed, 41mb uncompressed.
To get to the right point look for "E:\\ddd.doc" string. I have logged both
+relay and +files to better understand what it does and when.

> > I have found another problem bound to hard disks:
> > as suggested in vfat.txt i decided to try to crate a shadow for my fat
> > partition (please note, it has umask 000 and i am the owner)
> > but... simply i cant see any link created with ln -s /foo_fat/my_foo
> > /shadow_c/my_foo
> > when in any windows app i open the drive /shadow_c/ i cant see any link
> > inside!
> >
> > what is wrong?
>
> Did you see the note in <wine>/documentation/samples/config about
> directory symbolic links?

woops! sorry, i have read it but i forgot.
anyway i want to use real fat partitions not ext2 shadows.

> > in fact, i find a 0bytes lenght file after i try to save.
> > Damn thing...
> > i think you are right, may it be a problem with > 2.5gb hard drives? i
> > remember some windows apps (not very old) had problems recognizing free
> > space, they says i have 999,999mb free or 9,999,999 mb free when i had
> > more...
>
> Possible.  Why 2.5gb?  Never mind.  Maybe the sign bit in a 32 bit
> integer?
> 2^31
> 2147483648

i think so

> The function that it uses to query file space might not be a file
> function.  One thing you could try is a small vfat filesystem:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -C /usr/local/dose 16384
> /bin/mount -o loop,uid=501,gid=14,umask=2 -t vfat /usr/local/dose
> /mnt/dosed

i tryed on my "c:\" partition which is a fat32 with 700mb, nothing change.

A couple of last points:
1) again in word97, sometimes when i select "save" or "save as" or "open"
from file menu the file dialog box doesnt pop up until i change the focus
from word to another linux app and then back to word

2) when i use the open dialog box to open a file, i can click of a file but i
have to type the name in the filename text box. If i click on the file name
it makes me rename it instad of selecting...

--
Willy Gardiol
gardiol at libero.it
www.poli.studenti.to.it/~s92884