plain DOS

Malte Cornils malte at cornils.net
Thu Jul 26 13:00:24 CDT 2001

aep at nospam, writeme.com wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2001 02:58:05 -0700, wine at schiebemasten.org (asasel) wrote:
> >But has anyone of you ever successfully started a plain DOS Program like
> >MS edit.com or duke3d?
>
> I could be wrong here, but from what I know, WINE enables you to run
> Windows programs, it is not a PC/DOS emulator, in which case it will
> have a hard time with DOS programs.

Wine has rudimentary support for DOS, but does not really attempt to
facilitate using pure DOS applications like Duke3D. It's more useful
for small Win32 Console Applications.

For pure DOS games, please use DOSemu. It's mature and even has a
free DOS coming with its package, though you can easily use MS-DOS
or similar. The only thing I couldn't get to work was its
Soundblaster emulation.

-Malte #8-)