Font / charset encoding problem?

Joris Taupier joris at yachmat.com
Fri Jul 27 16:16:23 CDT 2001

I have successfully installed and launched Sibelius (music typesetting
software) on linux (with codeweavers preview 4, w/ a fake_windows install).
It works fairly well, and would probably deserve a 4 on the app database.
Except for the fonts, which kind of defies the purpose of a typesetting
software!  Here are the symptoms and some log activities :

* No musical symbols are displayed (except the ones commonly found in
default charsets, e.g. treble/bass clefs, sharps...)

* Sibelius' standard font for notation is Opus (ttf), which registry
is 'microsoft-symbol'.  I have installed Opus.ttf along with other
Sibelius-related fonts so that X can see them, and they are perfectly
displayed by xfd / xlsfonts / xfontsel

* I have tried aliases :
"Alias0" = "Opus,-macromedia-opus-*-*-*---*-*-*-*-*-*,subst"
to no avail

* Running Sibelius from my win98 partition with ms dlls gives the same
result

* And now the output of wine -debugmsg +fonts :

Invoking /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin -debugmsg +fonts sibelius ...
err:mmsys:MMDRV_InitHardcoded You didn't setup properly the config file for
the Wine multimedia modules.
Will use the hard-coded setup, but this will disapear soon.
Please add a WinMM section to your Wine config file.
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoA Unimplemented action: 74
(SPI_GETFONTSMOOTHING)
fixme:listview:LISTVIEW_Create ANSI notify format is NOT used
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1eb8, '¡', 0000, 0x405a5d88, 0, (nil),
0x405a5d78): stub
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1ebc, '¢', 0000, 0x405a5d88, 0, (nil),
0x405a5d78): stub
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1ec4, '&', 0000, 0x405a5d4c, 0, (nil),
0x405a5d3c): stub
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1ec8, '·', 0000, 0x405a5c20, 0, (nil),
0x405a5c10): stub
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1ecc, 'B', 0000, 0x405a5d4c, 0, (nil),
0x405a5d3c): stub
fixme:font:GetGlyphOutlineA (1ed0, '?', 0000, 0x405a5d4c, 0, (nil),
0x405a5d3c): stub
fixme:mdi:MDIRefreshMenu partially function stub
err:font:XFONT_RealizeFont plf->lfHeight = -1254, Creating a 100 pixel font
and rescaling metrics
err:font:XFONT_RealizeFont plf->lfHeight = -1254, Creating a 100 pixel font
and rescaling metrics
... and so on, you get the idea

Is it that wine doesn't support other font encoding tables than the
iso-8859 charset?  Or did I forget something?  Even though you might not
know about this particular software (but it is not the only one to screw up
the fonts: I have tried demos of Finale, Noteworthy, Music Publisher,
Melody Assistant... with the same problem), someone might have run into a
similar issue with microsoft-symbol...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated (actually, I could finally ditch my
Win partition!)

Joris

--
"Le trombone, c'est joli" - S. Gainsbourg