Speed problem with Wine...

Jeremy nobody at nodomain.com
Wed Jul 4 02:23:50 CDT 2001

"gerard patel" <g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid> wrote in message
news:3b419313.5116076 at news.nerim.net...
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:13:13 +0900, "ANDREW HUR" <andykor at elim.net>
> wrote:
> >I heard that Wine has speed problem.
> >
> >For instance, Wine is very slow...

> For graphics : sometimes, depending on the kind
> of graphics (games are said to run all right, while
> drawing programs relying on the classical Gdi
> api are slower than Windows on the same hardware)

The graphics performance is not just slow, it is ABYSMAL!

My personal experience from trying to port my App is that classical GDI,
specifically anything to do with Bitmaps and compatible dc, runs at less
than 5% of the speed of a native windows App.

Secondarily, there are faults in the implementation of some GDI functions,
especially fonts, but even simple line drawing and polyfilling is faulty.

This does not seem to be of concern to any of the developers as my previous
posts on the subject have been ignored.  I'm not sure if there is anyone
actively supporting GDI functionality.  Or at least not anyone watching this
newsgroup.