Speed problem with Wine...

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Wed Jul 4 05:08:20 CDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:23:50 +0800, "Jeremy" <nobody at nodomain.com>
wrote:

>My personal experience from trying to port my App is that classical GDI,
>specifically anything to do with Bitmaps and compatible dc, runs at less
>than 5% of the speed of a native windows App.

Surprising but I have not really benchmarked this part of
Win api.

>Secondarily, there are faults in the implementation of some GDI functions,
>especially fonts, but even simple line drawing and polyfilling is faulty.

Not surprising at all, Gdi api is huge.

>This does not seem to be of concern to any of the developers as my previous
>posts on the subject have been ignored.  I'm not sure if there is anyone
>actively supporting GDI functionality.  Or at least not anyone watching this
>newsgroup.

IMHO Wine would need at least 4 times the number of
contributors it has to fulfill the dreams of people
using it. Ideally I'd like to look into your problems but I
have to do other things including winning some money
from time to time.

All the time I dedicate to Wine since several weeks
is spent trying to find all the showstoppers the recent
bunch of window management patches has created.

Gerard