Speed problem with Wine...

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Jul 4 03:08:19 CDT 2001

Jeremy <nobody at nodomain.com> wrote:

: "gerard patel" <g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid> wrote in message
: news:3b419313.5116076 at news.nerim.net...
:> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:13:13 +0900, "ANDREW HUR" <andykor at elim.net>
:> wrote:
:> >I heard that Wine has speed problem.
:> >
:> >For instance, Wine is very slow...

:> For graphics : sometimes, depending on the kind
:> of graphics (games are said to run all right, while
:> drawing programs relying on the classical Gdi
:> api are slower than Windows on the same hardware)

: The graphics performance is not just slow, it is ABYSMAL!

: My personal experience from trying to port my App is that classical GDI,
: specifically anything to do with Bitmaps and compatible dc, runs at less
: than 5% of the speed of a native windows App.

There has been a lot of optimization in the bitmap area ( thanks e.g. to
Marcus)

: Secondarily, there are faults in the implementation of some GDI functions,
: especially fonts, but even simple line drawing and polyfilling is faulty.

Point them out clearly, having an example program on the net is always good.
But don't expect volonteers to react on all time to your needs immediate...

: This does not seem to be of concern to any of the developers as my previous
: posts on the subject have been ignored.  I'm not sure if there is anyone
: actively supporting GDI functionality.  Or at least not anyone watching this
: newsgroup.

Again, not everybody is watching allways. Be persistant, but in a useful and
polite way.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de