different font and window behaviour w/ diff X servers

gerard patel g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid
Sun Jul 8 19:59:49 CDT 2001

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 17:40:03 -0400, eikelan at gmx.net (Eike Lantzsch)
wrote:

>Hi:
>
>Like Gerard Patel mentioned on the developer's list I can confirm
>that Wine's behaviour _is_ now very dependant on which X server
>is used and to top it:

It has always been dependant, in fact. I feel that it's more
the case now - in part because there are quite a few
unresolved glitches yet.

>also this behaviour is varying quite a bit
>depending on the Windows application which is run.
>I have font problems with XF86_SVGA on a Trident Video-107PCI
>(cheapy-cheapy) and not with XF86_S3 on a Diamond 2000 3D (old).
>The problem was mentioned here already (EmHeight=3xBodyHeight).

You mean inappropriate fonts choice ? I don't quite remember
this emheight problem.
What I have seen is that on a computer with access to Windows
fonts things are going a lot smoothier than on a no-windows
computer.

>Also there are windows (especially listboxes) problems with
>16bit applications on the SVGA but not on the S3 X server.
>At least no show-stoppers.
>I hope this will get better as soon as I can install XF86 4.1x
>
>It seems that Wine development will get far more tedious now
>with the recent patches to windows management. How many different
>X servers can a developer install and perform tests on?

I have 2 computers, one with Xfree 3.3.6, the other with
4.0.3. Many remaining problems are similar on the 2
computers, so I'm trying to solve these first.

Gerard