No real Windows Registry?

gerard patel g.patel at
Mon Jul 16 15:12:36 CDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:00:00 GMT, Tom Corner <corner at> wrote:

>I got the following output towards the end of ./tools/wineinstall:
>Checking for real Windows registry...
>Not found, default Wine registry will be installed.
>Compiling regapi...
>What is the Windows registry and why wouldn't I have one.  I have Windows
>98 installed.

The Windows registry is a sort of database where all
the information about your installed applications is

If WIne can use it, it can allow it to use directly your applications
without having to install the applications under Wine - something
that don't work quite often.

Wine don't say that you don't have a Windows registry.
It says that it can't find it.

Check the config file to verify the configuration of
Wine pseudo-drives.

Also, don't be afraid to use 'man wine', its function is to
explain how things work.
See also the documentation directory.