Popup dialogs

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jul 20 13:12:40 CDT 2001

Prior to the major X11 changes of June, popup dialogs were nice and fast
(as they should be). Since the X11 changes, the popup dialogs are very
slow; 1-2 seconds to destroy one and pop up another on a 700MHz Athlon.
Actually, all window creation is much slower, but I really notice it on
the popup dialogs (because I use them a lot). Once the windows are open,
speed seems to be quite normal.

While it is obviously a very low priority, I am hoping this is just
something that will be taken care of eventually, and not a permanent
result of the X changes? Since 1-2 seconds is a huge amount of code to
go through (and these are very simple dialogs - a line of prompt text
and a single line text edit box), there must be something very
inefficient going on.