Wine installer

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Jun 15 15:28:34 CDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Peter Kirk wrote:

> I did not do the script, but I had a look at my alias as user, sure enough I
> have:
> alias which='type -p'
> this is on SuSE7.2, and I did not put it there. So, to come back to the main
> topic, why on earth does wineinstall think I have wine (I run the wineinstall
> as root, of course, so wineinstall gets more than an empty path)

I didn't mean for you to run it, or I would have begun it with #!/bin/sh
or so.  I only meant I would use the script (1)  program to capture a
typescript of a console session on my machine for your edification.

The negative response from the which program shouldn't be any harm:  the
standard which program writes that to stderr, where [ -n `which wine` ]
won't see it.

see which of

which nothing >/dev/null

and

which nothing 2>/dev/null

writes to the screen.  Screen output from the first is stderr, from the
second stdout (which is where [ -n `blah` ] looks for it.

If you are sure you have no wine hangover, you can just cut that stanza
out of wineinstall and try again, and in a month, or a year, or two, it
may come to you why it didn't work as Ove and Chris intended.  Then
maybe you will be inclined to fix it.  There is in the doco somewhat
about submitting patches, or you can ask for help.

Lawson
---end of recorded information---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.