Client protocol error:(nil): lseek: Illegal seek

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Jun 18 23:12:28 CDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Devin Titcomb wrote:

> now that i have wineX compiling from cvs when i try to run wine i get:
> Client protocol error:(nil): lseek: Illegal seek
> even if i try wine --help here is the strace if its anyhelp
> execve("/usr/bin/wine", ["wine"], [/* 25 vars */]) = 0
> lseek(4, 0, SEEK_END)                   = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)

It doesn't help me much.  I can't see where fd 4 is opened to know what
it is and why you might have conned wine into seeking a pipe or tty.
maybe strace -f would catch it, but maybe not.  Maybe --debugmsg +file
would help.  I _think_ the rest is fallout from this.

> write(2, "Client protocol error:(nil): ", 29Client protocol
> error:(nil): ) = 29
> write(2, "lseek: Illegal seek\n", 20lseek: Illegal seek
> )   = 20
> close(3)                                = 0
> _exit(1)                                = ?

And did I guess right about glibc-2.2.3 and gcc-2.95.3?

Lawson

If you want quality advice, you must give quality feedback.
---
Free Software: If you contribute nothing, expect nothing - Uwe Bonnes

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.