winelib with a dll

Bill Medland medbi01 at accpac.com
Wed Jun 20 16:03:36 CDT 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote in article
<20010619.215716.134630832.0.lawson_whitney at juno.com>...

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Bill Medland wrote:
>
> > Sorry to bug you all, but I want to know if I am trying to do something
> > impossible.
> >
> > I am trying to use winelib to compile an exe that links to a dll,
without
> > compiling the dll under winelib (i.e. the equivalent of simply linking
in
> > the .lib).
> >
> > I have a win32 DLL project (hw5) that generates a hw5.lib, hw5.dll and
> > hw5.h under M$.
> > I have a win32 gui exe project (hw6) that includes hw5.h, links to
hw5.lib
> > and calls hw5.dll at runtime.
> >
> > I copy the hw6 project to linux, with the hw6.h,lib,dll and try to
create a
> > linux hw6.
> >
> > Should I be able to do that or is that outside the scope of winelib?
> >
> > Bill
>
> Basically, yes that is within the scope of winelib, I think, but maybe
> not exactly as you think to do it.  winemaker knows more about winelib
> than I do.  If you have source for the whole project, why not make a
> winelib dll too?  But yes, there are ways to call a native dll from a
> winelib executable.  I think nowadays you only need to import the dll in
> your .spec file and winemaker will generate the glue code (.lib
> equivalent) for it.  I've never done it.  My only winelib program so far
> uses only wine builtin dll's and libc functions, but it does what I want
> it to do.
>
> There is lots of doco for winelib, including "man winemaker" and a whole
> bunch of .sgml files in <wine>/documentation/ (also available in html
> and other formats at the wine ftp sites (see <wine>/ANNOUNCE)) or you
> might like to read them with this nasty little sed program:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni
>
> I keep it in /usr/local/bin/rsg, but you may use it as you see fit.
>
> Lawson
>
> If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.
> ---cut here---

Thanks Lawson; that helped quite a bit.  The HOWTO-Winelib was particularly
useful.  (I already had the Winelib User's guide and most of the sgml files
are the source of it and the other manuals as far as I understand).

FYI the main problem was to do with using cpp files.  The name mangling
really makes things difficult for a newbie.  Having changed to .c things
were fine.

Bill