Problem writing to fat hd

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Jun 30 15:50:34 CDT 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Willy Gardiol wrote:

> Ok, i have made some tryes.
> I have discovered this:
> 1) "Save as..." from file menu
> 2) go to fat32 hard drive
> 3) type a name (in the log: AAAA)
> 4) save. It says "The file is alreayd open, Try egain?"
> 5) say yes and retype a different name (in the log: BBB)
> 6) it works. but why?
>
> I have done a +file log because the +relay is more than 26mb wide and it is
> not easy to check and send via email.

Usually, they gzip or bzip2 pretty well.  True it is still a lot to look
at, but if you can isolate a point of interest (the place where it
decides to raise a messagebox, FI - it might take some thousands of
lines of relay trace to actually raise the dam' thing) you can pick a
few thousand lines before or around it to examine or send.
Conventionally, I think we ask for 200 lines before, but we often have
to ask again for another 200.

> Does the log means anything to you?

Sorry, you didn't send it AFAICT.

> According to me, it is a bit messed up, maybe due to hread syncing not
> correctly. Could be this the problem? Could Windows97 (and other apps too...
> but not notepad.exe for example) uses multi-threads to save files and Wine is
> not able to correctly synch them?

Maybe.  Why only vfat though?  Still... possible.  The thing wine is
noted for though is that one process can not see the windows of antoher
process, I think, and some windows apps use these for interprocess
communication.  It is on its way to being fixed, but it will be some
time yet.

> I have found another problem bound to hard disks:
> as suggested in vfat.txt i decided to try to crate a shadow for my fat
> partition (please note, it has umask 000 and i am the owner)
> but... simply i cant see any link created with ln -s /foo_fat/my_foo
> /shadow_c/my_foo
> when in any windows app i open the drive /shadow_c/ i cant see any link
> inside!
>
> what is wrong?

Did you see the note in <wine>/documentation/samples/config about
directory symbolic links?

; Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.
; Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a whole
; subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself.
;"ShowDirSymlinks" = "1"

> in fact, i find a 0bytes lenght file after i try to save.
> Damn thing...
> i think you are right, may it be a problem with > 2.5gb hard drives? i
> remember some windows apps (not very old) had problems recognizing free
> space, they says i have 999,999mb free or 9,999,999 mb free when i had more...

Possible.  Why 2.5gb?  Never mind.  Maybe the sign bit in a 32 bit
integer?
2^31
2147483648

The function that it uses to query file space might not be a file
function.  One thing you could try is a small vfat filesystem:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -C /usr/local/dose 16384
/bin/mount -o loop,uid=501,gid=14,umask=2 -t vfat /usr/local/dose /mnt/dosed

You will have to change the paths and uid, of course, but that is all
there is to it, then just put it in .wine/config and have a go.  You
need kernel support for the loopback device, but unless you make your
own kernel it should be there.

> > My mail app fails with "Insufficient memory or disk space" if it is run
> > with builtin riched32.dll, but works fine with the native dll.
>
> Strange, i can use bulitin riched32.dll with no problems

I only meant that as an example of how sloppy windows apps are with
error messages, particularly message boxes.

> --
> Willy Gardiol
> gardiol at libero.it
> www.poli.studenti.to.it/~s92884