troubles installing MS apps

Al Niessner Al_Niessner at bigfoot.com
Sun Jun 24 18:29:41 CDT 2001

Basics:

OS: Linux
Wine RPM: wine-20010305-1mdk
Wine version: Wine release 20010305 (from wine --version)
Windoze: 98 SE (nothing installed but the OS)

Problem:
Okay, I am trying to install Baldur's Gate II and the install program
keep dying with "Setup failed to launch installation engine:
(0x80080005)". The following is from wine:

fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
VNETBIOS
fixme:win32:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device
NWLINK
fixme:module:CreateProcessA (C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\IKernel.exe,...):
CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE ignored
fixme:module:CreateProcessA (C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\IKernel.exe,...):
lpStartupInfo->lpTitle
C:\PROG~FBU\COMM~CP1\INST~JM1\ENGINE\6\INTE~MEX\IKERNEL.EXE ignored
fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np

where I figure the ignoring of the request to start iKernel.exe is the
problem. Now, why is it happening and how do I fix it? Oh, I visited the
install site and they did not have any information either.

I have read the docs and there appears to be a file called
winedefault.reg that may help me but my distribution did not come with
it nor did it come with regapi. Will it really help? Seems to me that my
distribution may include it in the other .reg files like user.reg.

Thanks for any and all help.

Al Niessner