Remote/Local X differences

Tony tony at searhc.org
Wed Jun 27 14:21:35 CDT 2001

gerard patel wrote:

> As you may have guessed if you have followed Wine for even a few
> weeks, general Wine situation is pretty fluid, that is, it get broken
> at some point or another on a regular basis. If you have hitten a
> recent or transient bug, it may pay off to give a try to an older
> version. Also, if you are using a recent Wine, I have a private patch
> to cut on trace - it is set on or off by hitting Alt-F12. If this
> can help you, reply and I'll mail it to you.

Yes, please.

> About your problem, I have absolutely no experience in remote
> Wine. Obviously this has something to do with the handling of
> an Api call by Wine, but it can be very tricky to understand what is
> happening. At least in your case, if the logs are similar up to
> the point you quoted, it is not a message timing problem - my
> favourite :-). So it is probably a different case. What is somewhat
> difficult to see is the case where a value returned in a parameter
> passed by address is different :-/

Yep.  Very tricky indeed.  I've been using Wine for a while, so I
understand that development is fluid.  I've gone back to build
20010418-- same problem.  How far back should I go?

I ruled out keyboard and timing issues; I haven't gotten much beyond
that.  I'm digging through the X11 code, currently, trying to find hints
about what might be different.  In any case, I'll figure it out.

> I'm sorry I can't help you a lot, but the recent changes in Wine have
> triggered for me a bit more than the 10 hours of debugging you
> said...

I'm sympathetic.

While I'm digging around in the X11 code, is there anything else I
should look at?  Not for my problem specifically, but for anything else.
  Might as well make some use of myself.

Thanks again; both you and Mr. Kaaven have been very helpful.

				- Tony