troubles installing MS apps

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 27 18:52:40 CDT 2001

In article <9h76qd$s4m$1 at sun27.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de>,
Uwe Bonnes  <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>Al Niessner <Al_Niessner at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>:...
>: Files\InstallShield\engine\6\Intel 32\IKernel.exe,...):
>
>If you would bother to scan old postings you would find IKernel.exe as an
>example  which does not work yet in wine because of missing inter process
>messaging.

Since MS Windows Installer is becoming an integral part of Windows these
days, would it be reasonable for Wine to support this feature natively
rather than relying on Windows Installer Service to work correctly?

Granted, the things that aren't yet in place that break WI may also break
other apps.  But the management features that may be offered by WI may
perhaps be better supported natively?  Supported as in, offering features
to the end users.

On another note, there are tools out there that will break down an MSI file
(with source code available).  I'm not sure how hard it is to separate an
.msi file from the setup.exe, but if that can be done easily, then perhaps
wine could provide it's own MSI manager (like it provides it's own registry
editor).

mrc

--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda at ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/