WINE Problems

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Mar 1 12:41:32 CST 2001

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Robert Tilley wrote:

> The following appreared when I tried to run Agent with WINE.
>
> tilleyrw at debian:~$ xhost +localhost
> localhost being added to access control list
> tilleyrw at debian:~$ xterm -display :0
> tilleyrw at debian:~$ wine
> Wine called with no arguments.
> Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin  ...
> /usr/bin/wine: [: too many arguments
> Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin /mnt/C/Program Files/Agent/agent.exe ...

I guess /usr/bin/wine is actually winelauncher - a shell script.  At a
guess, this means the shell is actually seeing your command line twice,
and by the time wine sees it, it sees two arguments, "/mnt/C/Program"
which it won't be able to run, and "Files/Agent/agent.exe".  I think you
need to double the backslash.

tilleyrw at debian:~$ wine /mnt/C/Program\\ Files/Agent/agent.exe

or single quote the entire mess:
tilleyrw at debian:~$ wine '/mnt/C/Program\ Files/Agent/agent.exe'

> /usr/bin/wine: line 402:  1189 Terminated              tail -f $log_name
> Wine failed with return code 1
> tilleyrw at debian:~$

ICBW, of course.  Seems to me that you should get a return code 2 for
giving it a program it can't find.

> As a non-WINE programmer, I am unaware of the meaning of all these messages.
>
> I have heard of people using Wine to run Agent.  Why can't I?
> --
> Robert Tilley <tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com>

Lawson

First shoot the arrow.  Then draw the bulls-eye. - J. A. Soucy
---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.