Need to get ONE program running - hamradio logging

gerard patel nomailthankyoug.patel at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 3 11:27:07 CST 2001

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:12:28 +0100, Peter Lemken <plemken at gmx.de>
wrote:

>I studied the FAQ and the manual, but it seems I am presented with a
>problem within the program, not with the emulator. Any hance you might
>download the program yourself and give it a try.

First I reply to this post and not your initial one because it's
the only one my @#"$} ISP is storing on its news server.
I have seen your first post on a public  archive. I probably will
have to see any reply of you in the same way. I am not even
sure my post will go anywhere :-((

I have downloaded your app.
First the install is a challenge for Wine. First Wine can't
handle a file name with a '.' in it; there is the easy workaround
of renaming the file, but there is a nasty crash after :-/

Try to install the software on a friend's computer  under Windows
and then transfer the c:\logger directory from it. From the read.me,
this seems a completely acceptable method.

Then *running* logger is another challenge.
The first thing to do is to write a small command file to
set up the current directory (this is done for you under
Windows, but not with Wine)

Example :

cd /mnt/dos/logger
wine -desktop 800x550  logger.exe

The parameters of Wine are not very important. What
matters is the 'cd' line. Replace with your configuration
for the dos  partition, of course.

After that the starting of logger is definitely difficult
(some nasty messages) but after a few restarts to allow
it to finish its initialization (this is working as under Windows
it seems), it starts.

I could maybe fix some problems with the start of logger but don't
hold your breath because Wine has thousands of bugs and I
have only 24 hours a  day.

Now, will it actually connect to whatever hardware you use ? That's
another story. I am not very familiar with serial communication
for 16 bit software. If you have problems here, other people may be
more qualified. I seem to recall that in some cases you have to run as
root but I'm not sure. Also there may be interprocess communication
problems (if yes your are lost for Wine as this is not supported
currently)

> As a fellow ham you
>will most likely enjoy it ;-)

Sorry, I am not :-)