Window position in managed mode

François Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Mon Mar 5 02:31:19 CST 2001

Richard Spandit wrote:

> When starting, for example, FreeCell in managed more, the program opens with
> the top of the window out of the top of my screen (i.e. the top corner of my
> desktop coincides with the top-left of the menu bar). It's not a huge
> problem, but I can't move the program...

   Yes, this is a known problem. I believe it only happens with some
window managers. As a quick test you can try replacing 'StaticGravity'
with 'NorthWestGravity' in 'windows/x11drv/wnd.c'. If that does not work
then the best is probably to wait for the window management rewrite
which will be done... uuuuh... before the Wine 1.0 release?

   Oh, and if that does not work then as a workaround your window
manager probably provides other ways to move such windows:
 - fvwm2/95: middle-button on any border, choose move
 - WindowMaker: press Alt and left-click anywhere on the window to move
it

François Gouget
fgouget at codeweavers.com