WINE and IO permissions

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Mar 5 18:25:30 CST 2001

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Robert Tilley wrote:

> In my latest attempt to use Wine to run Forte Agent, these were my
> observations.
>
> tilleyrw at debian:~/vmware-distrib$ wine '/mnt/C/Program
> Files/Agent/agent.exe'
> /usr/bin/wine: [: too many arguments
> Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin /mnt/C/Program Files/Agent/agent.exe ...
> tilleyrw at debian:~/vmware-distrib$ wine '/mnt/C/Program\
> Files/Agent/agent.exe'
> /usr/bin/wine: [: too many arguments
> Invoking /usr/bin/wine.bin /mnt/C/Program\ Files/Agent/agent.exe ...
> Wine failed with return code 2

Oops, I think I misadvised you last time, based on a too-casual look at
winelauncher.  single quotes protect spaces _and_ backslashes in the
string they surround from the shell, so you don't need nor want to use a
backslash too.  Wine is looking for a directory named Program\ Files.

wine '/mnt/C/Program Files/Agent/agent.exe'

should work better.

> /usr/bin/wine: line 538:  6267 Terminated              tail -f $log_name
> err:psdrv:PSDRV_AFMGetCharMetrics No whitespace found.
> err:psdrv:PSDRV_AFMGetCharMetrics No whitespace found.
> err:psdrv:PSDRV_AFMGetCharMetrics No whitespace found.
> err:psdrv:PSDRV_AFMGetCharMetrics No whitespace found.
> Rerunning /usr/bin/wine -debugmsg warn+all /mnt/C/Program\
> Files/Agent/agent.exeInvoking /usr/bin/wine.bin -debugmsg warn+all
> /mnt/C/Program\ Files/Agent/agent.exe ...

> Wine failed with return code 2
>
> An internal Wine error was that write permissions did not exist in
> /mnt/C/Program Files/Agent/DATA' which is the directory where Agent stores
> program information.

Where did you see that?  If it is on a vfat partition, the whole
partition and all its directories have the same permission, as set by
mount.  There is a good discussion of this in
<wine>/documentation/installing.sgml (Dealing wit FAT/VFAT Partitions)
and the other formats of that file available at the wine ftp sites, I
think, and probably at winehq too.

> Any ideas here?  I have heard many people claim to have used Agent with
> Wine on this newsgroup.
>
> TIA!
> --
> Robert Tilley <tilleyrw at cfl.rr.com>

Lawson

Is there life after birth?  - Proverbs of Hell Revisited
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.