!$!$!$!$.pfr and others

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Wed Mar 7 11:20:16 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Stefan Meyer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> When I started Wine (some Jan. 2001 version), it moved some
> directories from my windows partition, renamed them and made
> them write-protected. As I ran down Linux and restarted
> Windows, the moved directories still were there. I had to
> rename them and to move them back.
>
> How can I tell Wine not to mess up my windows directory structure?
>
> Thanx
>
> Stefan

You can't.  Wine does what the windows app asks it to do.  MSIE does
this, IIRC, if it doesn't like some registry entry, or doesn't find some
registry entry it wants.  Anyway, the structure is not messed up I
think, dosfsck will not find structure damage, just directories are
renamed.  You can protect your whole windose partition by mounting it
read-only, but I don't know any windose app that will be happy with that
arrangement.

There is a good discussion of this issue in
<wine>/documentation/installing.sgml, section "Dealing with FAT/VFAT
Partitions".  Maybe you would rather read it in some other format.
<wine>/ANNOUNCE tells where to get those.  For that matter,
<wine>/README has a warning about just this thing.

Lawson

Everything comes from somewhere.  Everything has to go somewhere.
There ain't no such thing as a free IRQ.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.