CalamusSL 2000 DTP program

Uwe Koloska uwe.koloska at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Thu Mar 8 10:36:21 CST 2001

g.patel at wanadoo.fr wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:24:38 +0100, Uwe Koloska
> <uwe.koloska at mailbox.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I tried to install CalamusSL 2000 under wine 20010305 and the
installation
>>itself was successfull.  But when I start the program the main window is
>>very small (120x27) and can't be changed.  So the GUI is not visible ...
>>
>>What can I do to help the maker of the program to find the problem?
>
> Give more info. Why can't the main window size be changed ? I can see
> 2 reasons :
>
> - the window could be created as a managed window with no
> possibility for the window to be resized. This is a nasty problem
> (difficult to fix) because  there are fundamental differences between
> Windows and X  Window. Running with -desktop 800x600 would
> get rid of the problem for now.

I get a 800x600 Desktop but the Calamus window remains the same size as
before ...

> - there are mechanisms for win apps to restrict the size of their
> windows (responding to the WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message,
> using WM_GETMINMAXINFO). Possibly the Wine implementation
> is not 100% correct. Is the app using one of these ?
>
> Maybe you could do a log of the app with +debugmsg +win,+relay and
> post the reference to a web page with this log; I could take a look at
> it and maybe help the developer (if he wants to mail me my current
> address is gerard.Patel at asi.fr)

I have produced the debugmsg with -debugmsg +win,+relay.  It's a 43 MB
File.  You can find it at
  http://www.koloro.de/tmp/calamus.protokoll.gz (511 KB)

>>And there is another problem with temporary fonts.  The program needs
>>some
>>fonts that will be installed temporary (BTW why is the font chapter not
>>included in the user documentation???).  I managed to install the fonts.
>>There are two bitmap fonts with three sizes and one of the sizes is
>>recognized as installed but the others aren't.
>>
>>Installed is:
>>-windows-stemulator font normal-medium-r-normal--6-60-
>>-windows-stemulator font normal-medium-r-normal--8-80-
>>-windows-stemulator font normal-medium-r-normal--16-160-
>>
>>-windows-stemulator font fett-medium-r-normal--6-60-
>>-windows-stemulator font fett-medium-r-normal--8-80-
>>-windows-stemulator font fett-medium-r-normal--16-160-
>>
>>the name is correct (confirmed by the programmer) but only the size 8 is
>>recognized -- 6 and 16 aren't ...
>
> Strange. I don't know much about fonts. They are not appearing
> in the standard font dialog ?

They are appearing in the dialog -- I tested it with wordpad.  But they
don't appear in the toolbar ...

> There is the possibility to run with
> -debugmsg +font, that will give you a ton of info about what Wine
> is doing with the fonts.

Have done this, but it doesn't give any clue what font the app really
wants.  It requests a list with all fonts of a given name and (I think)
internally sorts out wether the right size is there.

The author says, that the program requests the sizes 8, 9, 10.  I tried to
change the sizes in fonts.dir but no effect.  The font select dialog only
shows 6, 8, 16.  So I looked at the bdf-font that is produced with fnt2bdf
and changed the header:

- FONT -windows-STEmulator font \
    normal-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1252
+ FONT -windows-STEmulator font \
    normal-medium-r-normal--10-100-72-72-c-80-microsoft-cp1252
- SIZE  16  100   100
+ SIZE  10  100   100
  FONTBOUNDINGBOX 16  16  0  -2

But the font select dialog from wordpad still shows 6, 8, 16.  What do I
have to do to change the sizes from the real ones to the ones the app
requests.  Is this possible with font aliases?

Uwe

mailto:koloska at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/
right now the web page is in german only
but this will change as time goes by ;-)