Code change required in x11drv keyboard driver

Andy Johnson andyj at aspin.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:34:12 CST 2001

aAHello all. I know I'm technically a wine newby (having only just
installed the codeweavers preview 2) but I have a code change request.

Deep within the file ~/windows/x11drv/keyboard.c in the function
X11DRV_ToUnicode is the comment 'More areas where X11 returns characters
but Windows does not CTRL + number or CTRL + symbol'.

Whilst this is a reasonable assumption, this is in fact incorrect as
Windows will indeed return CTRL+symbol. Indeed if it didn't, my C++
Builder Wyse120-based emulator application wouldn't be able to detect
and send CTRL-\ keystrokes to cKermit or CTRL-]  keystrokes to telnet
sessions on all my linux and unix servers.

My delight at the slick installation and configuration of preview 2 was
dampened when my killer app failed to return my control to Kermit. After
a little investigation in the source files, I traced the problem to the
above  function. I don't quite know whether you want to remove the
section entirely, but my patch runs as follows...(diff output)

1568d1567
<         /* Oh yes it does! - Andy Johnson */
1571c1570
< /*            if (((keysym>=33) && (keysym < 'A')) ||
---
>             if (((keysym>=33) && (keysym < 'A')) ||
1577d1575
< */

Hope this patch is recieved in the spirit in which it is sent. Wine has
come so far in the last two years and whilst the goalposts are
constantly being moved by MS is certainly nearing an extremely
significant milestone. I know I can wait for Borland to produce a C++
version of Kylix and then port my app over to native linux but in the
short term Wine is the only method I can use to get my app onto Linux
and away from dual-booting.

Andy Johnson