Can't get RedAlert working

Matt Ng bgc_fan at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 03:54:48 CST 2001

I installed it a while ago, so I don't remember exactly what I did. I
believe I just used wine --winver win95 /pathtosetup/setup.exe.

> I'm sorry, I can't help you with Red Alert, but please can I ask you how
> you got it to install?  I've tried running autorun.exe, which says that
> it isn't running under windows 95, and I've tried running setup.exe,
> which says that it can't find all of the files and to run setup from the

As for the original poster, I used the precompiled RPMs and I find that it's a
little flaky with running RA. Now and then the sound would quit and the
game would lock up. It does do the same thing (load up with just a black
screen), but it happens every 3rd-4th time. So I generally use switch to
a console, killall wine, and try running RA again. Usually it works.
Specifying --winver win95 or win98 seems to help as well.