wineserver: /home/xstaci/.wine/config is not a valid registry file

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Mon Mar 12 13:48:45 CST 2001

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 xstaci at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> i get this message and looked through the docs.. i dont have a msdos
> partition but i do have an ntfs one.  how do i setup the registry file
> can anyone help plz??? if you have a response e-mail me at
> xstaci at tampabay.rr.com

It's not really exactly the registry, but ~/.wine/config is required to
be in wine registry format and have a header line like this:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2

It is a unix text file (lines separated by linefeed, no carriage returns
- I don't know if that is a requirement, but mine is, and it works).

You can find a sample in on your local linux system in
<wine>/documentation/samples/config.  You did install the wine source,
did you not?

just take that and edit all the

"Path" = "blah"

so blah names some directory that exists in your *nix (probably linux)
filesystem.  Last I heard, linux write access to ntfs was a little
risky.  You don't _have_ to have any windows filesystem for wine.
You do have to have linux directories that will be presented to the apps
as c:\windows and c:\windows\system, but the only requirement is that
they must exist on your linux filesystem.

You might want to mount your ntfs readonly and shadow the parts you will
need to be able to write to to some other directory in your linux
filesystem.  Have a read of <wine>/documentation/installing.sgml
(or other formats of the doco available at the wine ftp sites or (I
think) wine.codeweavers.com.  I wish we didn't do that sgml fiasco,
but it is sort of possible to read it with this:

cat /usr/local/bin/rsg
#!/bin/sh
sed -e 's/<[^<>]*>//g' -e 's/&lt;/</g' -e 's/&gt;/>/g' $1 |less -ni

 :-)

Dealing with FAT/VFAT Partitions

I know it says fat/vfat, but the basic idea of shadowing applies to ntfs
as well.

Lawson

If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.
---

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.