Entropia distributed computing client won't install

Christopher Weth zxmsj04 at jura.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 15 12:24:25 CST 2001

Hi,

Because our institute is planning a distributed-computing project in
cooperation with the Entropia software, and I do not like the idea of
excluding all Linux users from the project, I tried to get the Entropia
software running using a recent version of wine (Wine release 20010305),
which I compiled & installed on a SuSE Linux 6.4 machine (glibc 2.1.3,
kernel 2.2.14) (the entropia software can be obtained without registration
at http://www.entropia.com/join.asp).

Obviously it didn't work (otherwise I probably would not post here).
:-(

When I start up wine, with

wine --winver win95 -managed c:/Entropia2000Setup.exe

I get the following warnings, fixmes and errors:

Warning: could not find wine config [Drive x] entry for current working
directory /net/alamak/home/weth/local/wine/wine-20010305; starting in
windows directory.
fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
err:win32:PE_FindExportedFunction module not found for forward
'user32.CharToOemBuffA' used by 'kernel32.dll'
err:win32:fixup_imports No implementation for KERNEL32.dll.11 imported
from C:\windows\system\advapi32.dll, setting to 0xdeadbeef

After that, a lot more fixmes about font stuff are appearing.
Finally, the setup program pops up and tells me to wait while the
InstallShied wizard extracts... but it doesn't - neither the progress bar
moves, nor does it do anything on the hard disk. This is independent of
the DLLs I use (I tried both the builtin and the ones from win95).

All I can do in this state is hit the Cancel button to end the program.

I ran the program again with --debugmsg +relay, as suggested in the
documentation; the (gzipped) output is available at
http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~weth/wine/entropia.debug.gz
(about 100K).

It would be great if someone here could help me with a few hints what else
I could try - I'm a complete newbie to wine.

Cheers,

        Chriss
---
It said 'Use Windows 98 or better' so I installed Linux.