wine and aol

Daniel Foesch krach42 at aol.com
Thu Mar 15 14:46:11 CST 2001

>Is there anyone who have sucessfully run aol modem connection under
>wine ?
>
>Thank's for any help

AOL implements a lot of crap.  Technically it does not provide a connect to the
internet, but rather a tunnel to the internet through the AOL service. (which
is why you get crappy ping times because you're getting translation on two
ends)   You're very much likely NOT going to get any sort of a connection in
AOL through WINE, even in the near future. (project anyone?)  So I suggest you
look into some solution with VMWare or Win4Lin.  I have had experience with
VMWare, and it does work at least with TCP/IP connections.

You know, if I didn't have to start up VMWare for AOL... It'd get pretty rusty.

Daniel "Krach" Foesch