Updating Starcraft?

Colin Alie colin.alie at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 18 12:10:06 CST 2001

R Pickett wrote:
> Fair enough.  I've not been able to get the Start Menu part to work
> correctly, though.  I've created Start Menu\Programs in the right place,
> but it always fails when trying to access it.  I've tried various
> capitalizations (including the one strace told me it wanted,
> "WINDOWS/Start Menu/Programs/Starcraft"), and occasionally it will drop
> the "Starcraft Electronic Registration.url" into that directory before
> failing, meaning to me that it _is_ finding it, but it always tells me it
> can't make a shortcut for G:\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe in C:\Windows\Start
> Menu\Programs\Starcraft, and then dies.
>
> My actual problem's cleared up, for the most part -- I installed it all
> on a Windows box, then zipped up the resulting Starcraft directory and
> copied it over.  The registry seems to have at least some of the right
> information, as it will start and run, but as you say, it's hackishly
> installed, so I'm not completely comfortable.
>
> Any ideas on why the Start Menu\Programs.... business would fail, despite
> several attempts with different capitalization options?  Thanks again.

The following is a comment in my default wine configuration file:

"Wine doesn't pass directory symlinks to Windows programs by default.
Enabling this may crash some programs that do recursive lookups of a
whole subdir tree in case of a symlink pointing back to itself."

This can be overridden by adding the line

"ShowDirSymlinks"="1"

to the [wine] section of the config file.  I haven't played with this
but the default behaviour could be the reason why the only entry in the
Start Menu for Starcraft is the Starcraft registration URL and links to
files residing on the local system do not appear.

Until next time, Colin.