Charset / Language with an NT installation?

Richard Lovejoy Richard.Lovejoy at ericsson.com.au
Tue Mar 20 16:54:42 CST 2001

  Hi there.

  I'm having trouble with wine and NT.  I recently got a new
machine at work (hurrah!) but this one has NT installed, and I'm
not really allowed to delete it.

  The problem is, for some reason, I can't get Word and Excel
working from the NT installation.  They actually run,
and I can do stuff, and everything is fine... until I try
to save or load.

For instance, when I've got the "Open file" dialogue open in
Word, if I try and rename a file, I get errors like:
  Cannot rename '...': The drive that this file or folder is stored on
  does not allow long file names or names containing blanks or any of
  the following characters....

When I try and load a file from Word, I get errors like:
  The document name or path is not valid.  It may contain characters
  which are not part of the current language of the operating system.
  Try renaming the file or opening it with the language of the system
  set to the language used when the file was created.

Excel seems to find files, but complains that it doesn't understand
them.  Notepad loads files, but they turn to semi-gibberish.

All of this happens with simple filenames like "abcdefg.txt",
and it happens to files living in my home directory on an e2fs
filesystem, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the ntfs driver.

My current guess is that it is _something_ to do with the character
set or language, but I don't know how to fix it!  I'm not using any
extended character set or non-English language.

Anybody have an idea?

I haven't investigated the problem in huge detail yet, in the hope
that somebody else knows the symptom at this level.  :)

Thanks,
  Richard.

Richard Lovejoy.                      Richard.Lovejoy at ericsson.com.au
+61 3 9301 6284
Send me mail with "Public key" as the subject for an automated reply.
GPG fingerprint:     7667 9679 6BF9 DB73 96D6  54FC 9A16 E57E 292E 05AD